Saturday 16 October 2010

In the beginning: six months of sweat

Distance: 10.27 km (6.38 miles); Time: 1 hour 10; Surface: road, park; Weekly mileage: 22 miles

Five days after my first half-marathon, by mile 11 of which my legs were ravaged, my stomach nauseous from all the sugar I'd ingested and my mind swearing to my poor, dying body that I would never force it to run anywhere ever again, I decided to sign up for the London marathon 2011. And realised I was hooked.

There are a lot of things I love about running, but one of the best is the feeling of meteoric progress, something I think is easy to lose sight of in other areas of our lives. I'm not fast by any means, and built more for endurance than speed. But, as I'm sure is normal for beginners, in the three months since I randomly decided to put on an old pair of trainers and hit the pavement, collapsing in agony 10 minutes later, my improvement has been rapid. *That's how it gets you*, the lazy, couch-dwelling Gollum voice in my head whispers. Too late. It's got me.

Today is October 16, exactly half a year before M-day. As it's nice to have some kind of symbolic start to these things, I decided that I should take advantage while I'm still naively enthusiastic and start a training log, complete with Bridget Jones-style vitals for each entry. To record what I hope will pass for progress; as an outlet for a growing obsession to stop my non-running companions from disowning me; and to swap geeky tips about hill sessions and heel striking with fellow runners that stumble across the page. Welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck! Have a ball preparing for your first Marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prakash! Have you run one before? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete