Sunday 7 November 2010

Surfing on endorphins

Distance: 8.24 miles (13 km); Time: 1 hr 35; Surface: road, park. Soundtrack: Human by The Editors (among other stuff)

Today was a glorious autumn running day: golden rays, red and orange leaves underfoot, air warmish but too cold to stop moving. Just beautiful.

And a good job, because it's been about three weeks since I last ran properly, thanks to an insane amount of work that has had me desk-chained 12 hours a day, three weekends in a row... Despite being desperate to get outside, the most I've managed is a few treadmill 5ks, and no long runs. Certainly nothing like marathon training. To make it worse, I've had little sleep and my diet has gone to ground. Thankfully, the mania is over.

Still, it's undoubtedly a setback. It's *SO FRUSTRATING* how quickly muscles, honed over months start to disintegrate, weight starts to creep up, and lethargy sets in the minute you stop training. Feeling out of condition as I headed for the Thames on a couple of Gu gels, no breakfast and a hangover to boot, I was worried about fading after five miles. But what my body lacked in form, it decided to make up for in endorphins. I've never felt anything like it: after 6 miles they began to hit me, wave after wave of the happy critters. I couldn't run fast enough to keep up with the rush. It was ridiculous, spiritual almost. I believe I actually worked out the meaning of life in those heady moments, although sadly I can't remember what it was now. Anyone else get this when returning to running after a break?

I'm also starting to look for marathon training plans. I'm unsure whether to try and build a steady mileage base then hit a 12-week plan after Christmas, or follow something more structured from earlier, an 18-week plan perhaps. I also need to think about setting realistic goals for finishing. With a 2.11 half and 58 min 10km under my belt, I'd imagine myself to be in the 4 hours 30 min camp. But - oh - sub four hours would be excellent. If anyone knows of a great training plan that can turn a slowish but determined runner into a sub 4 hour marathoner in five months, I'd love to hear about it. The main thing this break has taught me, though, is that consistency is vital. Running has to be a priority, because, however much I love it, other stuff just takes over if I allow it to.

Incidentally, today the New York marathon was won by Gebre Gebremariam, a 26-year-old Ethiopian in 2 hours 8 minutes 13 - his marathon debut, the fourth time a debutant has won. Edna Kiplagat of Kenya, 31, took the women's title in 2.28.19. She's had a great year, having won the LA marathon earlier this year. And, NEWSFLASH - the unsurpassable Haile Gebrselassie, who had been having knee troubles, announced his retirement from professional running after dropping out at Mile 16. Hat tip Haile - you may not have finished this race, but your ability to inspire will run and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment